Thursday, June 9, 2011

Copycat Recipe: Outback Caesar dressing

I think I have two salad dressings tied for first place when it comes to going to a restaurant. I love the dressing on the salad at our favorite Japanese Steak House (miso??).

The other? The Caesar dressing from Outback Steak House.
I kind of also love how they always serve it on a cold plate or bowl.

Reason #4,563 to love the internet: Well, recipes, in general. More specifically, copycat recipes!

I found this one on a few different sites, but here is one link.

This is what the recipe calls for:

1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup egg substitute
1 cup plus 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 and 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon anchovy paste
2 cloves garlic, pressed
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed dried parsley

Directions:
  • 1. Whisk all ingredients together except the 1 cup of parmesan for the topping.

  • 2. Chill for at least an afternoon or overnight.
  • 3. Assemble all salad ingredients in a large bowl, whisk dressing again and add dressing to salad in portioned amounts until you get the desired amount of dressing for the salad. There may be some dressing leftover.
  • 4. Sprinkle with desired amount of extra parmesan cheese and toss.

  • I served this with romaine lettuce, homemade croutons, and some pan grilled chicken. Sorry, this picture isn't the prettiest. The croutons were already made out of wheat bread, but then I also burnt them *blush*

  • My review?
    3.75 stars (out of 5)
    It was a great Caesar dressing, but it isn't quite up to the dressing at Outback. It is definitely very similar, but there is something missing in the spice or flavor department. I can't *quite* put my finger on what is missing.




  • No comments:

    Post a Comment